Thursday, March 3, 2011

Jim Corbett

Well, this is my first blog. As it may happen with everyone, you are crammed with ideas and subjects and wonder where to start. After much pondering, I have decided to add a few lines on my attachment with Jim Corbett and his books.

When I was in school we had some access to Jim Corbett's works in Assamese translation. Biraj Choudhury translated Man-eaters of Kumaon and The Man-eating Leopard of Rudraprayag and was published by the Assam Publication Board. The books with beautiful dust jackets and sturdy bindings were an instant attraction to the teenage mind. I still have a copy of the translated copy of Man-eaters of Kumaon in my collection

As time passed, my interest grew into the 'Carpet Sahib', who spent much of his life in the northern India protecting lives of the local people and playing roles in the conservation of the wildlife. His biographies by DC Kala, Martin Booth and Jerry A Jaleel are very insightful into his life.

Cover image of the Second Print of the Assamese translation of Man Eaters of Kumaon. (Thanks to Leo for suggesting me to upload this image.)


Carpet Sahib: A Life of Jim Corbett by Martin Booth

Under the Shadow of Man-Eaters: The Life and Legend of Jim Corbett by Jerry A. Jaleel
Jim Corbett of Kumaon by D.C. Kala
Hope to write on Jim Corbett again in near future.

PS.
I am eagerly waiting for the first edition of Man-eaters of Kumaon - on which I have spent a fortune -  to reach my hand soon.

5 comments:

  1. Fine introduction to Jim Corbett. This article rose my interest in Jim Corbett life and his works. Hope to see many more updates about him...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Start buddy... hope many more such nice posting will soon cramp the blog.. keep it going :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how can i get কুমায়ুনৰ মানুহ খোৱা বাঘ book online? can someone please provide me this book which i admire most

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can u please please provide me a copy of that book?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where can i get কুমায়ুনৰ মানুহ খোৱা বাঘ book? Please provide if possible.

    ReplyDelete